From: ceph-users <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jason Dillaman
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 7:45 AM
To: Marc Roos <M.Roos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  move rbd image (with snapshots) to different pool

The "rbd clone" command will just create a copy-on-write cloned child of the source image. It will not copy any snapshots from the original image to the clone.

With the Luminous release, you can use "rbd export --export-format 2 <image-spec> - | rbd import --export-format 2 - <image-spec>" to export / import an image (and all its snapshots) to a different pool.
Additionally, with the Mimic release, you can run "rbd deep copy" to copy an image (and all its snapshots) to a different pool.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Marc Roos <M.Roos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I would like to copy/move an rbd image, this is the only option I
> have? (Want to move an image from a hdd pool to an ssd pool)
>
> rbd clone mypool/parent@snap otherpool/child

Jason