Fra: "Ilya Dryomov" <idryomov@xxxxxxxxx>
Til: "Linh Vu" <vul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sendt: torsdag, 31. maj 2018 09:26:37
Emne: Re:  Luminous 12.2.4: CephFS kernel client (4.15/4.16) shows up as jewel

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 4:16 AM, Linh Vu <vul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> On my test Luminous 12.2.4 cluster, with this set (initially so I could use
> upmap in the mgr balancer module):
>

> # ceph osd set-require-min-compat-client luminous
>
> # ceph osd dump | grep client
> require_min_compat_client luminous
> min_compat_client jewel
>
> Not quite sure why min_compat_client is still jewel.
>

> I have created cephfs on the cluster, and use a mix of fuse and kernel
> clients to test it. The fuse clients are on ceph-fuse 12.2.5 and show up as
> luminous clients.
>

> The kernel client (just one mount) either on kernel 4.15.13 or 4.16.13 (the
> latest, just out) is showing up as jewel, seen in `ceph features`:
>
>     "client": {
>         "group": {
>             "features": "0x7010fb86aa42ada",
>             "release": "jewel",
>             "num": 1
>         },
>         "group": {
>             "features": "0x1ffddff8eea4fffb",
>             "release": "luminous",
>             "num": 8
>         }
>     }
>
> I thought I read somewhere here that kernel 4.13+ should have full support
> for Luminous, so I don't know why this is showing up as jewel. I'm also
> surprised that it could mount and write to my cephfs share just fine despite
> that. It also doesn't seem to matter when I run ceph balancer with upmap
> mode despite this client being connected and writing files.
>

> I can't see anything in mount.ceph options to specify jewel vs luminous
> either.
>

> Is this just a mislabel i.e my kernel client is actually fully Luminous
> supported but showing up as Jewel? Or is the kernel client a bit behind
> still?

All luminous features, including upmap, are supported in 4.13+.

This is just a reporting issue caused by the fact that MSG_ADDR2 (which
came before luminous and isn't a required feature) isn't implemented in
the kernel client yet.

> Currently we have a mix of ceph-fuse 12.2.5 and kernel client 4.15.13 in our
> production cluster, and I'm looking to set `ceph osd
> set-require-min-compat-client luminous` so I can use ceph balancer with
> upmap mode.

You will need to append --yes-i-really-mean-it as a work around.

Thanks,

                Ilya