Re: where is it possible download CentOS 7.5

Il 27/03/2018 13:46, Brad Hubbard ha scritto:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:12 PM, Max Cuttins <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Brad,

    that post was mine. I knew it quite well.

That Post was about confirm the fact that minimum requirements written in the documentation really didn't exists.

However I never asked if there is somewhere a place where is possible to download the DEV or the RC of Centos7.5.
I was thinking about to join the community of tester and developers that are already testing Ceph on that "not ready" environment.

In that POST these questions were not really made, so no answer where given.

From that thread.

"The necessary kernel changes actually are included as part of 4.16-rc1
which is available now. We also offer a pre-built test kernel with the
necessary fixes here [1].

[1] https://shaman.ceph.com/repos/kernel/ceph-iscsi-test/"

I notice that URL is unavailable so maybe the real question should be why is that kernel no longer available?

Yes, the link was broken and it seemed to me a misprint of old docs.
As all other stuffs described didn't exists already I thought that event this Kernel test was not available (already or anymore).

There are plenty more available at https://shaman.ceph.com/repos/kernel/testing/ but *I* can't tell you which is relevant but perhaps someone else can.

However the 4.16 is almost ready to be released (shoulded had been already).
At this moment is just a double work use that kernel and after upgrade it to the final one.

I see that you talked also about other distribution. Well, I read around that Suse already implement iSCSI.
However as far as I know (which is not so much), this distribution use modified kernel in order to let this work.
And in order to use it it's needed  a dashboard that can handle these kind of differences (OpenAttic).
I knew already OpenAttic is contributing in developing the next generation of the Ceph Dashboard (and this sound damn good!).
However this also means to me that the official dashboard should not be talking about ISCSI at all (as every implementation of iSCSI are running on mod version).

So these are the things I cannot figure out:
Why is the iSCSI board on the CEPH official dashboard? (I could understand on OpenAttic which run on SUSE but not on the official one).

Why do you believe it should not be?

Maybe I'm in wrong, but I guess that the dashboard manager expects to get data/details/stats/config from a particular set of paths, components and daemons which cannot be the same for all the ad-hoc implementation.
So there is a dashboard that show values for a component.... which is not there (instead could be there something else but written in another way).
Every ad-hoc implementation (like OpenAttic) of course know where to find data/details/stats/config for work with their implementation (so it's understandable that they have board for iSCSI).
Right?

And why, in the official documentation, the minimu requirements to let iSCSI work, is to install CentOS7.5? Which doesn't exist? Is there a RC candidate which I can start to use?

But it doesn't say that, it says " RHEL/CentOS 7.5; Linux kernel v4.16 or newer; or the Ceph iSCSI client test kernel". You seem to be ignoring the "Ceph iSCSI client test kernel" part?

Yes, the link was broken and it seemed to me a misprint of old docs.

Moreover at first read I figure out that I needed both centOS7.5 AND kernel 4.16..... OR the kernel test.
Now you are telling me that all requirements are alternative. Which explain to me why the documentation suggest just CentOS and not all others distribution.
Also this sounds good.

But I don't think that CentOS7.5 will use the kernel 4.16 ... so you are telling me that new feature will be backported to the kernel 3.* ?
Is it right? So.... i don't need to upgrade the kernel If I'll use RHEL/CentOS7.5 ?
This sound even better. I was a bit worried to don't use the mainstream kernel of the distribution.

And... if SUSE or even other distribution works already with iSCSI... why the documentation just doesn't reccomend these ones instead of RHEL or CENTOS?

Because that would be odd, to say the least. If the documentation is incorrect for CentOS then it was, at least at some point, thought to be correct and it probably will be correct again in the near future and, if not, we can review and correct it as necessary.

Of course the best way to predict the future is to make it happen. ;)
But this is odd for a documentation (at least should be a warning box saying that all components will be ready in the near future).

Thank you Brad to answer me.