Re: PGs inconsistent, do I fear data loss?

On Nov 1, 2017, at 4:45 PM, David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All it takes for data loss is that an osd on server 1 is marked down and a write happens to an osd on server 2.  Now the osd on server 2 goes down before the osd on server 1 has finished backfilling and the first osd receives a request to modify data in the object that it doesn't know the current state of.  Tada, you have data loss.

I’m probably misunderstanding, but if a osd on server 1 is backfilling, and its only candidate to backfill from is an osd on server 2, and the latter goes down; then wouldn’t the osd on server 1 block, i.e., not accept requests to modify, until server 1 comes up again?
Or is there a ‘hole' here somewhere where server 1 *thinks* it’s done backfilling whereas the osdmap it used to backfill with was out of date?

Thanks,

Hans