Re: Bluestore with SSD-backed DBs; what if the SSD fails?

On 10/25/2017 03:51 AM, Caspar Smit wrote:
Hi,

I've asked the exact same question a few days ago, same answer:

http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2017-October/021708.html

I guess we'll have to bite the bullet on this one and take this into
account when designing.

This is one reason (amongst several others) that it's a good idea to stick with enterprise grade SSDs that have high write endurance. Typically you'll also get power loss protection which allows O_DSYNC writes to complete quickly without having to flush cache.

Kind regards,
Caspar

On 2017-10-25 11:21, Wido den Hollander wrote:

Op 25 oktober 2017 om 5:58 schreef Christian Sarrasin <c.nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The one thing I'm still wondering about is failure domains.  With
Filestore and SSD-backed journals, an SSD failure would kill writes but
OSDs were otherwise still whole.  Replacing the failed SSD quickly would
get you back on your feet with relatively little data movement.

Not true. If you loose your OSD's journal with FileStore without a clean shutdown of the OSD you loose the OSD. You'd have to rebalance the complete OSD.

Could you crosscheck please? Because this
http://ceph.com/geen-categorie/ceph-recover-osds-after-ssd-journal-failure/
suggests otherwise.

-K.