Re: Bluestore with SSD-backed DBs; what if the SSD fails?

> Op 25 oktober 2017 om 10:39 schreef koukou73gr <koukou73gr@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> On 2017-10-25 11:21, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> >
> >> Op 25 oktober 2017 om 5:58 schreef Christian Sarrasin <c.nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>
> >> The one thing I'm still wondering about is failure domains.  With
> >> Filestore and SSD-backed journals, an SSD failure would kill writes but
> >> OSDs were otherwise still whole.  Replacing the failed SSD quickly would
> >> get you back on your feet with relatively little data movement.
> >>

> > Not true. If you loose your OSD's journal with FileStore without a clean shutdown of the OSD you loose the OSD. You'd have to rebalance the complete OSD.
>
> Could you crosscheck please? Because this
> http://ceph.com/geen-categorie/ceph-recover-osds-after-ssd-journal-failure/
> suggests otherwise.

It seems to suggest, but that's wrong. Think of it this way: What good would the journal be if you can discard it without loosing anything?

When a OSD shuts down cleanly it flushes the FileStore journal. At that moment you can indeed replace the journal and create a new one.

But otherwise the OSD is inconsistent and will not start.

Wido