Re: Backup VM (Base image + snapshot)

On 16/10/17 03:40, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Oscar Segarra <oscar.segarra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my VDI environment I have configured the suggested ceph
>> design/arquitecture:
>>
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/giant/rbd/rbd-snapshot/
>>
>> Where I have a Base Image + Protected Snapshot + 100 clones (one for each
>> persistent VDI).
>>
>> Now, I'd like to configure a backup script/mechanism to perform backups of
>> each persistent VDI VM to an external (non ceph) device, like NFS or
>> something similar...
>>
>> Then, some questions:
>>
>> 1.- Does anybody have been able to do this kind of backups?
>
> Yes, we have been using export-diff successfully (note this is off a
> snapshot and not a clone) to back up and restore ceph images to
> non-ceph storage.  You can use merge-diff to create "synthetic fulls"
> and even do some basic replication to another cluster.
>
> http://ceph.com/geen-categorie/incremental-snapshots-with-rbd/
>
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/dev/rbd-export/
>
> http://cephnotes.ksperis.com/blog/2014/08/12/rbd-replication
>
> --
> Alex Gorbachev
> Storcium
>
>> 2.- Is it possible to export BaseImage in qcow2 format and snapshots in
>> qcow2 format as well as "linked clones" ?
>> 3.- Is it possible to export the Base Image in raw format, snapshots in raw
>> format as well and, when recover is required, import both images and
>> "relink" them?
>> 4.- What is the suggested solution for this scenario?
>>
>> Thanks a lot everybody!

In my setup I backup individually complete raw disk images to file, because then they're easier to manually inspect and grab data off in the event of catastrophic cluster failure. I haven't personally bothered trying to preserve the layering between master/clone images in backup form; that sounds like a bunch of effort and by inspection the amount of space it'd actually save in my use case is really minimal.

However I do use export-diff in order to make backups efficient - a rolling snapshot on each RBD is used to export the day's diff out of the cluster and then the ceph_apply_diff utility from https://gp2x.org/ceph/ is used to apply that diff to the raw image file (though I did patch it to work with streaming input and eliminate the necessity for a temporary file containing the diff). There are a handful of very large RBDs in my cluster for which exporting the full disk image takes a prohibitively long time, which made leveraging diffs necessary.

For a while, I was instead just exporting diffs and using merge-diff to munge them together into big super-diffs, and the restoration procedure would be to apply the merged diff to a freshly made image in the cluster. This worked, but it is a more fiddly recovery process; importing complete disk images is easier. I don't think it's possible to create two images in the cluster and then link them into a layering relationship; you'd have to import the base image, clone it, and them import a diff onto that clone if you wanted to recreate the original layering.

Rich