Re: Backup VM (Base image + snapshot)

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Oscar Segarra <oscar.segarra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my VDI environment I have configured the suggested ceph
> design/arquitecture:
>
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/giant/rbd/rbd-snapshot/
>
> Where I have a Base Image + Protected Snapshot + 100 clones (one for each
> persistent VDI).
>
> Now, I'd like to configure a backup script/mechanism to perform backups of
> each persistent VDI VM to an external (non ceph) device, like NFS or
> something similar...
>
> Then, some questions:
>
> 1.- Does anybody have been able to do this kind of backups?

Yes, we have been using export-diff successfully (note this is off a
snapshot and not a clone) to back up and restore ceph images to
non-ceph storage.  You can use merge-diff to create "synthetic fulls"
and even do some basic replication to another cluster.

http://ceph.com/geen-categorie/incremental-snapshots-with-rbd/

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/dev/rbd-export/

http://cephnotes.ksperis.com/blog/2014/08/12/rbd-replication

--