CephFs kernel client metadata caching

Dear All,

First of all, this is my first post, so please be lenient :)

For the last few days I have been testing ceph, and cephfs, deploying a PoC cluster.

I have been testing the cephfs kernel client caching, when I came across something strange, and I cannot decide if it is a bug or I just messed up something.

Steps given client1 and client2 both mounded the same cephfs, extra mount option, noatime:

Client 1: watch -n 1 ls -lah /mnt/cephfs

-in tcpdump I can see that the directory is being listed once and only once, all the following ls requests are served from the client cache

Client 2: make any modification for example append to a file, or delete a file directly under /mnt/cephfs

-The operation is done, and client1 is informed about the change OK.

-Client1 does not seem to cache the new metadata information received from the metadata server, now it communicates every second with the mds.

Client 1: stop watch ls... command, wait a few sec and restart it

-The communication stops, client1 serves ls data from cache

Please help, if it is intentional then why, if not, how can I debug it?

Where can I find documentation about the kernel client and it's caching strategy?

Thank You!

Ceph cluster version: Luminous on all nodes

Client: tested on ubuntu xential - 4.4.0-96-generic #119-Ubuntu - all settings default, except noatime

Client: tested on Fedora 26 - 4.13.5-200.fc26.x86_64+debug - all settings default, except noatime