moving mons across networks

Hi all,

We're looking at readdressing the mons (moving to a different subnet)
on one of our clusters. Most of the existing clients are OpenStack
guests on Libvirt+KVM and we have a major upgrade to do for those in
coming weeks that will mean they have to go down briefly, that will
give us an opportunity to update their libvirt config to point them at
new mon addresses. We plan to do the upgrade in a rolling fashion and
thus need to keep Ceph services up the whole time.

So question is, can we for example have our existing 3 mons on network
N1, add another 2 mons on network N2, reconfigure VMs to use the 2 new
mon addresses, all whilst not impacting running clients. You can
assume we'll setup routing such that the new mons can talk to the old
mons, OSDs, and vice-versa.

Perhaps flipping the question on its head - if you configure a librbd
client with only a subset of mon addresses will it *only* talk to
those mons, or will it just use that config to bootstrap and then talk
to any mons that are up in the current map? Or likewise, is there
anything the client has to talk to the mon master for?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo