Re: moving mons across networks

Hi Blair,

You can add/remove mons on the fly -- connected clients will learn
about all of the mons as the monmap changes and there won't be any
downtime as long as the quorum is maintained.

There is one catch when it comes to OpenStack, however.
Unfortunately, OpenStack persists the mon IP addresses at volume
creation time. So next time you hard reboot a VM, it will try
connecting to the old set of mons.
Whatever you have in ceph.conf on the hypervisors is irrelevant (after
a volume was created) -- libvirt uses the IPs in each instance's xml
directly.

There is an old ticket here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1452641
It's recently gone unassigned, but there is a new proposed fix here:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118040.html

As of today, you will need to manually update nova's
block-device-mapping table for every volume when you re-ip the mons.

Cheers, Dan