Re: Ceph and IPv4 -> IPv6

> Op 28 juni 2017 om 22:12 schreef Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 6:33 AM <george.vasilakakos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > I don't think either. I don't think there is another way then just
> > 'hacky' changing the MONMaps. There have been talks of being able to make
> > Ceph dual-stack, but I don't think there is any code in the source right
> > now.
> >
> > Yeah, that's what I'd like to know. What do the Ceph team think of
> > providing ways for switching?
> > We're not in any need to do so now but, it'd be good to know if the team
> > dual-stack support or at least to test and document a way to do it as
> > opposed to a "this should work but you're on your own" kind of deal.
> >

> My understanding is that sepia's current infrastructure hosting can't give
> us real IPv6, so we're not in any position to really make any promises
> about interoperability. Sorry. :(
>
> That said, I think Wido's list is the way to go — but I don't remember the
> problem with running mixed. Is it just that the messenger implementations
> don't handle it live, I think? Certainly shutting down, updating all the
> monmaps/configs (if you are setting monitor IP addresses instead of hosts),
> and then turning it all back on should work but you're on your own... ;)
> -Greg

The problem with mixed is this:
- The OSDMap/MONMap can only contain ONE IP, eg, IPv4 or IPv6
- Messengers can't talk dual-stacked

So you have to shut down the whole cluster and update the MONMap. Afterwards the OSDs will boot and 'up' themselves in the cluster with their IPv6 address and that will be recorded in the OSDMap.

Wido