From: Wido den Hollander [wido@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 June 2017 19:19
To: Vasilakakos, George (STFC,RAL,SC); ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Ceph and IPv4 -> IPv6

> Op 27 juni 2017 om 19:00 schreef george.vasilakakos@xxxxxxxxxx:
>

> Hey Ceph folks,
>
> I was wondering what the current status/roadmap/intentions etc. are on the possibility of providing a way of transitioning a cluster from IPv4 to IPv6 in the future.
>
> My current understanding is that this not possible at the moment and that one should deploy initially with the version they want long term.
>
> However, given the general lack of widespread readiness, I think lots of us have deployed with IPv4 and were hoping to go to IPv6 when the rest of our environments enabled it.
>
> Is adding such a capability to a future version of Ceph being considered?

I think you can, but not without downtime.

The main problem is the monmap which contains IPv4 addresses and you want to change that to IPv6.

I haven't tried this, but I think you should be able to:
- Extract MONMap
- Update the IPv4 addresses to IPv6 using monmaptool
- Set noout flag
- Stop all OSDs
- Inject new monmap
- Stop MONs
- Make sure IPv6 is fixed on MONs
- Start MONs
- Start OSDs

Again, this is from the top of my head, haven't tried it, but something like that should probably work.

Wido