Re: Ceph packages for Debian Stretch?

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 05:30:02PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:47:08 +0200 (CEST) Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Proxmox is maintening a ceph-luminous repo for stretch
> >
> > http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-luminous/
> >

> > git is here, with patches and modifications to get it work
> > https://git.proxmox.com/?p=ceph.git;a=summary
> >
> While this is probably helpful for the changes needed, my quest is for
> Jewel (really all supported builds) for Stretch.
> And not whenever Luminous gets released, but within the next 10 days.

I think you should be able to just backport the needed commits from
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/19884 on top of v10.2.7, bump the version
in debian/changelog and use dpkg-buildpackage (or wrapper of your
choice) to rebuild the packages. Building takes a while though ;)

Alternatively use the slightly outdated stock Debian packages (based on
10.2.5 with slightly deviating packaging and the patches in [1]) and
switch over to the official ones when they are available.

1: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-ceph/ceph.git/tree/debian/patches?id=7e85745cc7aece92e8f2e505285d451ec2210afa

> Though clearly that's not going to happen, oh well.

Mismatched schedules between yourself and upstream can be cumbersome -
but at least in case of FLOSS you can always take matters into your own
hands and roll your own if the need is big enough ;)