Re: Maintaining write performance under a steady intake of small objects

On 04/28/2017 08:23 AM, Frédéric Nass wrote:

Le 28/04/2017 à 15:19, Frédéric Nass a écrit :

Hi Florian, Wido,

That's interesting. I ran some bluestore benchmarks a few weeks ago on
Luminous dev (1st release) and came to the same (early) conclusion
regarding the performance drop with many small objects on bluestore,
whatever the number of PGs is on a pool. Here is the graph I generated
from the results:

The test was run on a 36 OSDs cluster (3x R730xd with 12x 4TB SAS
drives) with rocksdb and WAL on same SAS drives.
Test consisted of multiple runs of the following command on a size 1
pool : rados bench -p pool-test-mom02h06-2 120 write -b 4K -t 128
--no-cleanup

Correction: test was made on a size 1 pool hosted on a single 12x OSDs
node. The rados bench was run from this single host (to this single host).

Frédéric.

If you happen to have time, I would be very interested to see what the compaction statistics look like in rocksdb (available via the osd logs). We actually wrote a tool that's in the cbt tools directory that can parse the data and look at what rocksdb is doing. Here's some of the data we collected last fall:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2gTBZrkrnpZRFdiYjFRNmxLblU

The idea there was to try to determine how WAL buffer size / count and min_alloc size affected the amount of compaction work that rocksdb was doing. There are also some more general compaction statistics that are more human readable in the logs that are worth looking at (ie things like write amp and such).

The gist of it is that as you do lots of small writes the amount of metadata that has to be kept track of in rocksdb increases, and rocksdb ends up doing a *lot* of compaction work, with the associated read and write amplification. The only ways to really deal with this are to either reduce the amount of metadata (onodes, extents, etc) or see if we can find any ways to reduce the amount of work rocksdb has to do.

On the first point, increasing the min_alloc size in bluestore tends to help, but with tradeoffs. Any io smaller than the min_alloc size will be doubly-written like with filestore journals, so you trade reducing metadata for an extra WAL write. We did a bunch of testing last fall and at least on NVMe it was better to use a 16k min_alloc size and eat the WAL write than use a 4K min_alloc size, skip the WAL write, but shove more metadata at rocksdb. For HDDs, I wouldn't expect too bad of behavior with the default 64k min alloc size, but it sounds like it could be a problem based on your results. That's why it would be interesting to see if that's what's happening during your tests.

Another issue is that short lived WAL writes potentially can leak into level0 and cause additional compaction work. Sage has a pretty clever idea to fix this but we need someone knowledgeable about rocksdb to go in and try to implement it (or something like it).

Anyway, we still see a significant amount of work being done by rocksdb due to compaction, most of it being random reads. We actually spoke about this quite a bit yesterday at the performance meeting. If you look at a wallclock profile of 4K random writes, you'll see a ton of work being doing on compact (about 70% in total of thread 2):

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/uS3LHRHw2Yma0iUYSkgKOl5M1UNdIGYhyRLivL9gydE=

One thing we are still confused about is why rocksdb is doing random_reads for compaction rather than sequential reads. It would be really great if someone that knows rocksdb well could help us understand why it's doing this.

Ultimately for something like RBD I suspect the performance will stop dropping once you've completely filled the disk with 4k random writes. For RGW type work, the more tiny objects you add the more data rocksdb has to keep track of and the more rocksdb is going to slow down. It's not the same problem filestore suffers from, but it's similar in that the more keys/bytes/levels rocksdb has to deal with, the more data gets moved around between levels, the more background work that happens, the more likely we are waiting on rocksdb before we can write more data.

Mark

I hope this will improve as the performance drop seems more related to
how many objects are in the pool (> 40M) rather than how many objects
are written each second.
Like Wido, I was thinking that we may have to increase the number of
disks in the future to keep up with the needed performance for our
Zimbra messaging use case.
Or move datas from current EC pool to a replicated pool, as erasure
coding doesn't help either for this type of use cases.

Regards,

Frédéric.