Re: Maintaining write performance under a steady intake of small objects

> Op 24 april 2017 om 19:52 schreef Florian Haas <florian@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> so this will be a long email — it's a summary of several off-list
> conversations I've had over the last couple of weeks, but the TL;DR
> version is this question:
>
> How can a Ceph cluster maintain near-constant performance
> characteristics while supporting a steady intake of a large number of
> small objects?
>
> This is probably a very common problem, but we have a bit of a dearth of
> truly adequate best practices for it. To clarify, what I'm talking about
> is an intake on the order of millions per hour. That might sound like a
> lot, but if you consider an intake of 700 objects/s at 20 KiB/object,
> that's just 14 MB/s. That's not exactly hammering your cluster — but it
> amounts to 2.5 million objects created per hour.

I have seen that the amount of objects at some point becomes a problem.

Eventually you will have scrubs running and especially a deep-scrub will cause issues.

I have never had the use-case to have a sustained intake of so many objects/hour, but it is interesting though.

> Under those circumstances, two things tend to happen:
>
> (1) There's a predictable decline in insert bandwidth. In other words, a
> cluster that may allow inserts at a rate of 2.5M/hr rapidly goes down to
> 1.8M/hr and then 1.7M/hr ... and by "rapidly" I mean hours, not days. As
> I understand it, this is mainly due to the FileStore's propensity to
> index whole directories with a readdir() call which is an linear-time
> operation.
>
> (2) FileStore's mitigation strategy for this is to proactively split
> directories so they never get so large as for readdir() to become a
> significant bottleneck. That's fine, but in a cluster with a steadily
> growing number of objects, that tends to lead to lots and lots of
> directory splits happening simultanously — causing inserts to slow to a
> crawl.
>
> For (2) there is a workaround: we can initialize a pool with an expected
> number of objects, set a pool max_objects quota, and disable on-demand
> splitting altogether by setting a negative filestore merge threshold.
> That way, all splitting occurs at pool creation time, and before another
> split were to happen, you hit the pool quota. So you never hit that
> brick wall causes by the thundering herd of directory splits. Of course,
> it also means that when you want to insert yet more objects, you need
> another pool — but you can handle that at the application level.
>
> It's actually a bit of a dilemma: we want directory splits to happen
> proactively, so that readdir() doesn't slow things down, but then we
> also *don't* want them to happen, because while they do, inserts flatline.
>
> (2) will likely be killed off completely by BlueStore, because there are
> no more directories, hence nothing to split.
>
> For (1) there really isn't a workaround that I'm aware of for FileStore.
> And at least preliminary testing shows that BlueStore clusters suffer
> from similar, if not the same, performance degradation (although, to be
> fair, I haven't yet seen tests under the above parameters with rocksdb
> and WAL on NVMe hardware).

Can you point me to this testing of BlueStore?

> For (1) however I understand that there would be a potential solution in
> FileStore itself, by throwing away Ceph's own directory indexing and
> just rely on flat directory lookups — which should be logarithmic-time
> operations in both btrfs and XFS, as both use B-trees for directory
> indexing. But I understand that that would be a fairly massive operation
> that looks even less attractive to undertake with BlueStore around the
> corner.
>
> One suggestion that has been made (credit to Greg) was to do object
> packing, i.e. bunch up a lot of discrete data chunks into a single RADOS
> object. But in terms of distribution and lookup logic that would have to
> be built on top, that seems weird to me (CRUSH on top of CRUSH to find
> out which RADOS object a chunk belongs to, or some such?)
>
> So I'm hoping for the likes of Wido and Dan and Mark to have some
> alternate suggestions here: what's your take on this? Do you have
> suggestions for people with a constant intake of small objects?

I have a bit of similar use-case. A customer needs to store a lot of objects (4M per TB) and we eventually went for a lot of smal(ler) disks instead of big disks.

In this case we picked 3TB disks instead of 6 or 8TB so that we have a large number of OSDs, high number of PGs and thus have less objects per OSD.

You are ingesting ~50GB/h. For how long are you keeping the objects in the cluster? What is the total TB storage you need? Would it work in this use-case to have a lot of OSDs on smaller disks?

I think that in this you can partly overcome the problem by simply having more OSDs.

Wido