Re: get_stats() on pool gives wrong number?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:11 PM Kent Borg <kentborg@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/23/2017 02:51 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> Yeah, that's why. It'll fix itself once all the newly-split PGS have
> scrubbed, but in order to keep the splitting operation constant-time
> it has to estimate how many objects ended up in each of the new ones.

That makes some sense. Thanks!

While I have you... Why should the number of PGs be a power of two?
(What do we break if it is not? Does later on bumping it up to a power
of two fix all we broke?)

-kb

If your PG count isn't a power of two, some of them will have double the number of objects of the others. It mostly doesn't matter, though at low counts it can improve balance. There's no breakage that Ceph cares about.
-Greg