Re: bcache vs flashcache vs cache tiering

> Op 14 februari 2017 om 11:14 schreef Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx>:

I am using Bcache on various systems and it performs really well. The caching layer in Ceph is slow. Promoting Objects is slow and it also involves additional RADOS lookups.

The benefit with bcache is that it's handled by the OS locally, see it being a extension of the page cache.

A Fast NVM-e device of 1 to 2TB can vastly improve the performance of a bunch of spinning disks. What I've seen is that overall the I/O pattern on the disks stabilizes and has less spikes.

Frequent reads will be cached in the page cache and less frequent by bcache.

Running this with a few clients now for over 18 months and no issues so far.

Starting from kernel 4.11 you can also create partitions on bcache devices which makes it very easy to use bcache with ceph-disk and thus FileStore and BlueStore.

Wido