Re: SMR disks go 100% busy after ~15 minutes

Hi Wido,

no I did not set special flags - I've used ceph-deploy without further parameters apart from the journal disk/partition that these OSDs should use.

Bernhard

Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> schrieb am Mo., 13. Feb. 2017 um 17:47 Uhr:

> Op 13 februari 2017 om 16:49 schreef "Bernhard J. M. Grün" <bernhard.gruen@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi,
>
> we are using SMR disks for backup purposes in our Ceph cluster.
> We have had massive problems with those disks prior to upgrading to Kernel
> 4.9.x. We also dropped XFS as filesystem and we now use btrfs (only for
> those disks).
> Since we did this we don't have such problems anymore.

We have kernel 4.9 there, but XFS is not SMR-aware so it doesn't help.

I saw posts that some XFS work is on it's way, but it's not being actively developed. What I saw however is that you need to issue some flags on mkfs.

Did you need to do that when formatting btrfs on the SMR disks?

Wido