Re: SMR disks go 100% busy after ~15 minutes

> Op 13 februari 2017 om 15:57 schreef Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> Then you're not aware of what the SMR disks do. They are just slow for
> all writes, having to read the tracks around, then write it all again
> instead of just the one thing you really wanted to write, due to
> overlap. Then to partially mitigate this, they have some tiny write
> buffer like 8GB flash, and then they use that for the "normal" speed,
> and then when it's full, you crawl (at least this is what the seagate
> ones do). Journals aren't designed to solve that... they help prevent
> the sync load on the osd, but don't somehow make the throughput higher
> (at least not sustained). Even if the journal was perfectly designed for
> performance, it would still do absolutely nothing if it's full and the
> disk is still busy with the old flushing.

Well, that explains indeed. I wasn't aware of the additional buffer inside a SMR disk.

I was asked to look at this system for somebody who bought SMR disks without knowing. As I never touch these disks I found the behavior odd.

The buffer explains it a lot better, wasn't aware that SMR disks have that.

SMR shouldn't be used in Ceph without proper support in Bluestore or XFS aware SMR.

Wido