Re: linux kernel version for clients

Hmmmm... my original email got eaten by the big bit bucket in the sky...

What it said was you need to look at the ceph_features.h file for
kernel/userspace to see the differences.

This, for those that can access it, is the latest rhel7.3 version (I
imagine the CentOS version would be similar, if not identical but
you'd have to unpack the source to see and I'm too sleepy).

https://access.redhat.com/labs/psb/versions/kernel-3.10.0-514.2.2.el7/include/linux/ceph/ceph_features.h

This is the version released with 3.10 upstream AFAICT.

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/include/linux/ceph/ceph_features.h?h=v3.10&id=8bb495e3f02401ee6f76d1b1d77f3ac9f079e376

This is the file for the current jewel head.

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/jewel/src/include/ceph_features.h

>From that you can see the rhel kernel source looks a lot better than
upstream 3.10 but still is lagging in what it supports compared to the
jewel head.

I agree this is probably not a problem depending on what you want to
do with the kernel client.

I'd also mention that upstream bug fixes and features continue to get
back-ported into the rhel (and subsequently CentOS) kernels.

Cheers,
Brad