Re: Unwanted automatic restart of daemons during an upgrade since 10.2.5 (on Trusty)

On 12/20/2016 10:02 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> I think it is commit 0cdf3bc875447c87fdc0fed29831554277a3774b: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/0cdf3bc875447c87fdc0fed29831554277a3774b

Thanks Wido but in fact I have doubts...

> It invokes a start after the package install/upgrade. Since you have manually stopped the daemons they will be started again.

Yes, that seems to be logical but I have checked with the 10.2.1
version for instance and I have these lines too in the ceph-osd
postinst:

case "$1" in
    configure)
        [ -x /sbin/start ] && start ceph-osd-all || :

and I'm pretty sure that during the 10.2.0 => 10.2.1 upgrade
the osd daemons weren't started again (after I have manually
stopped the daemons). I'm pretty because my process is manual
but it's a note I follow "idiotically" and I'm sure that I have
notice the change with the 10.2.5 version.

However, between 10.2.1 and 10.2.5 I have noticed this diff
in the postinst:

# Automatically added by dh_systemd_enable
# This will only remove masks created by d-s-h on package removal.
deb-systemd-helper unmask ceph-osd.target >/dev/null || true

# was-enabled defaults to true, so new installations run enable.
if deb-systemd-helper --quiet was-enabled ceph-osd.target; then
    # Enables the unit on first installation, creates new
    # symlinks on upgrades if the unit file has changed.
    deb-systemd-helper enable ceph-osd.target >/dev/null || true
else
    # Update the statefile to add new symlinks (if any), which need to be
    # cleaned up on purge. Also remove old symlinks.
    deb-systemd-helper update-state ceph-osd.target >/dev/null || true
fi
# End automatically added section
# Automatically added by dh_systemd_start
if [ -d /run/systemd/system ]; then
    systemctl --system daemon-reload >/dev/null || true
    deb-systemd-invoke start ceph-osd.target >/dev/null || true
fi
# End automatically added section

I don't know if it can explain the change I have noticed...
Currently I'm lost. As you said Wido, the line "... start ceph-osd-all..."
should start again the osd daemons manually stopped by
myself but this line is present since 10.2.1 at least and
I pretty sure that I hadn't this behavior with 10.2.1.