Unwanted automatic restart of daemons during an upgrade since 10.2.5 (on Trusty)

Hi @all,

I have a little remark concerning at least the Trusty ceph packages (maybe
it concerns another distributions, I don't know).

I'm pretty sure that before the 10.2.5 version, the restart of the daemons
wasn't managed during the packages upgrade and with the 10.2.5 version it's
the case. I explain below.

Personally, during a "ceph" upgrade, I prefer to manage the "ceph" daemons
_myself_. For instance, during a "ceph" upgrade of a Ubuntu Trusty OSD server,
I'm used to make something like that:

# I stop all the OSD daemons (here, it's an upstart command but it's
# an implementation detail, the idea is just "I stop all OSD"):
sudo stop ceph-osd-all

# And after that, I launch the "ceph" upgrade with something like that:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

# (*) Before the 10.2.5 version, the daemons weren't automatically
#     restarted by the upgrade and personally, it was a _good_ thing
#     for me. Now, with the 10.2.5 version, the daemons seems to be
#     automatically restarted.

# Personally, after a "ceph" upgrade, I always prefer launch a _reboot_
# of the server.
sudo reboot

So, now with 10.2.5 version, in my process, OSD daemons are stopped,
then automatically restarted by the upgrade and then stopped again
by the reboot. This is not an optimal process of course. ;)

I perfectly know workarounds to avoid an automatic restart of the
daemons during the "ceph" upgrades (for instance, in the case of
Trusty, I could temporarily removed the files
/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-$id/upstart).

But, _by_ _principle_, in the specific case of ceph (I know it's not the
usual case of packages which provide daemons), I think it would be more
safe and practical that the ceph packages don't manage the restart of
daemons.

What you do think about that ? Maybe I'm wrong... ;)

François Lafont