Re: 10.2.3: Howto disable cephx_sign_messages and preventing a LogFlood

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Bjoern Laessig
<b.laessig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mi, 2016-12-14 at 18:01 +0100, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Bjoern Laessig <b.laessig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > i triggered a Kernel bug in the ceph-krbd code
>> >  * http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg33802.html
>>
>> The fix is ready and is set to be merged into 4.10-rc1.
>>
>> How often can you hit it?
>
> I cannot hit it. My kernel guy says it is more probable, that the server
> room burns down before that happens again. But if you send me the patch
> at least i can test it on top of 4.9.

I concur with your kernel guy ;)  If you relieve the memory pressure,
it won't happen again.

The patch [1] is based on a few other auth-related changes.  If you
checkout [2], you'll get all of them - v4.9..b3bbd3f2ab19.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client/commit/7af3ea189a9a13f090de51c97f676215dabc1205
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-client/commit/b3bbd3f2ab19c8ca319003b4b51ce4c4ca74da06

> The whole disabling-cephx-sign-message thing is a test, whether i *can*
> disable it, if it happens again.
>
>> > Actually i do not have to delete the logfiles every 12 hours, so my pain
>> > has gone but its a workaround for a workaround. That is painful. What
>> > could i do to disable cephx-message-signing only for the krbd clients?
>>
>> I don't think you can enable/disable message signing on a per
>> connection basis - once the feature bit is negotiated, messengers on
>> both sides expect everything to be signed.  Feature bits are static and
>> the MSG_AUTH feature bit is enabled since bobtail and kernel 3.19.
>>
>> It has to be disabled both on the server side (via ceph.conf, all
>> daemons need to be restarted) and on the client side (via rbd map -o
>> nocephx_sign_messages).
>
> I will not disable security Foo. It is simple to disable, but often it
> is huge mess to enable it again.

Enabling it is the reverse: cephx_sign_messages = true and rbd map as
usual.  Nothing to it, but I hear you.

Thanks,

                Ilya