Re: 10.2.3: Howto disable cephx_sign_messages and preventing a LogFlood

On Mi, 2016-12-14 at 18:01 +0100, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Bjoern Laessig <b.laessig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > i triggered a Kernel bug in the ceph-krbd code
> >  * http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg33802.html
>
> The fix is ready and is set to be merged into 4.10-rc1.
>
> How often can you hit it?

I cannot hit it. My kernel guy says it is more probable, that the server
room burns down before that happens again. But if you send me the patch
at least i can test it on top of 4.9.

The whole disabling-cephx-sign-message thing is a test, whether i *can*
disable it, if it happens again.

> > Actually i do not have to delete the logfiles every 12 hours, so my pain
> > has gone but its a workaround for a workaround. That is painful. What
> > could i do to disable cephx-message-signing only for the krbd clients?
>
> I don't think you can enable/disable message signing on a per
> connection basis - once the feature bit is negotiated, messengers on
> both sides expect everything to be signed.  Feature bits are static and
> the MSG_AUTH feature bit is enabled since bobtail and kernel 3.19.
>
> It has to be disabled both on the server side (via ceph.conf, all
> daemons need to be restarted) and on the client side (via rbd map -o
> nocephx_sign_messages).

I will not disable security Foo. It is simple to disable, but often it
is huge mess to enable it again.

> Suppressing logging is obviously the wrong thing to do here ;)

Definitively you're right, but i sleep well in silence.

Thanks,

Björn