Re: how possible is that ceph cluster crash

Le 19/11/2016 à 00:52, Brian :: a écrit :
> This is like your mother telling not to cross the road when you were 4
> years of age but not telling you it was because you could be flattened
> by a car :)
>
> Can you expand on your answer? If you are in a DC with AB power,
> redundant UPS, dual feed from the electric company, onsite generators,
> dual PSU servers, is it still a bad idea?

Yes it is.

In such a datacenter where we have a Ceph cluster there was a complete
shutdown because of a design error : the probes used by the solution
responsible for starting and stopping the generators were installed
before the breakers installed on the feeds. After a blackout where
generators kicked in the breakers opened due to a surge when power was
restored. The generators were stopped because power was restored, and
the UPS systems failed 3 minutes later. Closing the breakers couldn't be
done in time (you don't approach them without being heavily protected,
putting on the suit to protect you needs more time than simply closing
the breaker).

There's no such thing as uninterruptible power supply.

Best regards,

Lionel