Re: how possible is that ceph cluster crash

This is like your mother telling not to cross the road when you were 4
years of age but not telling you it was because you could be flattened
by a car :)

Can you expand on your answer? If you are in a DC with AB power,
redundant UPS, dual feed from the electric company, onsite generators,
dual PSU servers, is it still a bad idea?

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Samuel Just <sjust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Never *ever* use nobarrier with ceph under *any* circumstances.  I
> cannot stress this enough.
> -Sam
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Craig Chi <craigchi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Nick and other Cephers,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>> 2) Config Errors
>>> This can be an easy one to say you are safe from. But I would say most
>>> outages and data loss incidents I have seen on the mailing
>>> lists have been due to poor hardware choice or configuring options such as
>>> size=2, min_size=1 or enabling stuff like nobarriers.
>>
>> I am wondering the pros and cons of the nobarrier option used by Ceph.
>>
>> It is well known that nobarrier is dangerous when power outage happens, but
>> if we already have replicas in different racks or PDUs, will Ceph reduce the
>> risk of data lost with this option?
>>
>> I have seen many performance tuning articles providing nobarrier option in
>> xfs, but there are not many of then mention the trade-off of nobarrier.
>>
>> Is it really unacceptable to use nobarrier in production environment? I will
>> be much grateful if you guys are willing to share any experiences about
>> nobarrier and xfs.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Craig Chi (Product Developer)
>> Synology Inc. Taipei, Taiwan. Ext. 361