Re: Ceph with Cache pool - disk usage / cleanup

I just love the sound of my own typing...

See inline, below.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:18:48 +0900 Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 20:15:12 +0200 Sascha Vogt wrote:
>
> > Hi Burkhard,
> >
> > On 29/09/16 15:08, Burkhard Linke wrote:
> > > AFAIK evicting an object also flushes it to the backing storage, so
> > > evicting a live object should be ok. It will be promoted again at the
> > > next access (or whatever triggers promotion in the caching mechanism).

> > > Not sure whether this is a bug at all. The objects should be evicted and
> > > removed if the cache pool hits the max object thresholds.
> > d'oh, Ceph and it's hidden gems ;) That was it.
>
> That's what I alluding to when I wrote "maybe with some delay".
>
> >Yes, we have currently
> > no hard object limit (target_max_objects) as we have target_max_bytes
> > set and thought that would be enough. After setting target_max_objects
> > (even to a ridiculous high number, I used 200 millions, so double the
> > amount we have) and Ceph immediately started dropping objects (and
> > blocking all client IO :( )
> >
> Please refer to this page for the reminder:
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
>
> So, firstly, what are your ratios (dirty, full) set to?
> If it's at the defaults of 0.4 and 0.6 and you REALLY have only 100
> million objects, it should have started to flush stuff (which is likely a
> NOOP with these leftovers) and not evict stuff.
> What does "ceph df detail" tell you?
>
> Are you sure the blocking of client I/O is due to the object removal and
> your OSDs being too busy and not actually because Ceph thinks that the
> cache is full (object wise)?
> As in:
> "Note All client requests will be blocked only when target_max_bytes or
> target_max_objects reached"
>

> > Is this behavior documented somewhere?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.
> OTOH, I'd expect even those 0-byte files/objects to be eventually the
> subject of removal when the space/size limits are reached and they are
> eligible (old enough).
> If that is NOT the case, that this is both a bug and at the very least
> needs to be put into the documentation.

Gotta love having (only a few years late) a test and staging cluster that
is actually usable and comparable to my real ones.

So I did create a 500GB image and filled it up.
The cache pool is set to 500GB as well and will flush at 60% and evict
at 80%.
Afterwards I rm'ed the image and had plenty of those orphan objects left
in the cache pool.
Both the ones created initially AND the ones moved back up to it from the
base pool during the removal (all activity happens on the cache tier after
all).

Repeated that 2 more times and with the flush and evict timers set to 10
and 20 minutes respectively it should have removed those, but it didn't.

Started like this:
---
    NAME      ID     CATEGORY     USED       %USED     MAX AVAIL     OBJECTS     DIRTY     READ      WRITE     RAW USED
    rbd       0      -            23445M      0.52         3579G        5951      5951      478k     3841k       46890M
    cache     2      -            11587M      0.26          661G       15778      2821     77955     2522k       23174M
---

and ended up like that:
---
    NAME      ID     CATEGORY     USED      %USED     MAX AVAIL     OBJECTS     DIRTY     READ      WRITE     RAW USED
    rbd       0      -             245G      5.61         3328G       63015     63015      505k     3953k         490G
    cache     2      -            3498M      0.08          669G      291626      213k     80552     7995k        6996M
---

Set max objects to 200k and that got rid of many (no particular death
throes were caused by this), but still left 150k floating around.

To remove the remaining ones (and of course clean out the cache entirely)
a "rados -p cache cache-try-flush-evict-all" did the trick.
Which is of course impractical in a production environment.

So yeah, it's definitely a bug as these orphans will never expire it
seems.
And at the very least the documentation would need to reflect this.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/