Re: Ceph with Cache pool - disk usage / cleanup

Hi Burkhard,

On 29/09/16 15:08, Burkhard Linke wrote:
AFAIK evicting an object also flushes it to the backing storage, so
evicting a live object should be ok. It will be promoted again at the
next access (or whatever triggers promotion in the caching mechanism).

For the dead 0-byte files: Should I open a bug report?
Not sure whether this is a bug at all. The objects should be evicted and
removed if the cache pool hits the max object thresholds.
d'oh, Ceph and it's hidden gems ;) That was it. Yes, we have currently no hard object limit (target_max_objects) as we have target_max_bytes set and thought that would be enough. After setting target_max_objects (even to a ridiculous high number, I used 200 millions, so double the amount we have) and Ceph immediately started dropping objects (and blocking all client IO :( )

Is this behavior documented somewhere? From the cache tiering doc it looked like you either set target_max_bytes OR target_max_objects and not both (although I always wondered what sense does it make to talk about objects on a cache layer, as it's nature is that it is space bound and it is less than the backing pool. I even wondered why target_max_bytes is even necessary, as Ceph knows how much space is available. I mean optionally restricting it further is ok, in case you want to have two Cache pools on the same set of fast disks / SSds, but IMHO it could be optionally and in case of just one pool use whats there)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help. We will see how we can get some downtime in order to set a limit and cleanup the backlog of stale objects from the cache.

Greetings
-Sascha-