Re: Ceph with Cache pool - disk usage / cleanup

Hi,

Am 29.09.2016 um 13:45 schrieb Burkhard Linke:
> On 09/29/2016 01:34 PM, Sascha Vogt wrote:
>> We have a huge amount of short lived VMs which are deleted before they
>> are even flushed to the backing pool. Might this be the reason, that
>> ceph doesn't handle that particular thing well? Eg. when deleting an
>> object / RBD image which has not been flushed, that the "deletion
>> mechanism" only deletes whats in the backing pool and if there is
>> nothing it skips deleting the marker files in the cache pool?
> You should be able to validate this. Create a new rbd in the pool, map
> it, write some data to it (few MB should be sufficient), note its rbd
> prefix (rbd info <rbd>), and remove the rbd.
>
> Then check whether objects with the prefix exists in the cache pool or
> the backend pool. If such objects exists, try to flush/evict it manually
> (rados cache-flush / cache-evict) and check whether the object is still
> present in the pools.
Took a while and a lot more numbers we're seeing is starting to make
sense now.

After rbd rm the objects are still present in the cache pool, stat on
any of those objects returns the "No such file or directory" error and
no object is on the backing pool.

That explains our values we're seeing on "ceph df detail" which is:

ephemeral-vms: 910880 objects
ssd: 109096429 objects <- constantly growing... only rarely dropping
number. The number drops when an Openstack

-> calculating each "missing" object with 4k we end up with around 411
GB, one replica and we have our around 800 GB missing space :(

Good thing: Evicting an object where stat returns the error removes it.
So I'm now listing all objects in the SSD pool and then trying to evict
those who return a "No such file" when stating them. Hopefully that
doesn't break anything.

Question: Do I need a flush before the evict? Just in case? Or what
happens if I call evict on an object which is technically not a dead
object and needs to be flushed first?

For the dead 0-byte files: Should I open a bug report?

Greetings
-Sascha-