Re: Ceph Very Small Cluster

mon_osd_min_down_reporters by default set to 2

I guess you’ll have to set it to 1 in your case

JC

On Sep 29, 2016, at 08:16, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the problem is that Ceph requires a certain number of OSDs or a certain number of reports of failure before it marks an OSD down. These thresholds are not tuned for a 2-OSD cluster; you probably want to set them to 1.
Also keep in mind that the OSDs provide a grace period of 20-30 seconds before they'll report somebody down; this helps prevent spurious recovery but means you will get paused IO on an unclean shutdown.

I can't recall the exact config options off-hand, but it's something like "mon osd min down reports". Search the docs for that. :)
-Greg

On Thursday, September 29, 2016, Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/29/16 14:07, Ranjan Ghosh wrote:
> Wow. Amazing. Thanks a lot!!! This works. 2 (hopefully) last questions
> on this issue:
>
> 1) When the first node is coming back up, I can just call "ceph osd up
> 0" and Ceph will start auto-repairing everything everything, right?
> That is, if there are e.g. new files that were created during the time
> the first node was down, they will (sooner or later) get replicated
> there?
Nope, there is no "ceph osd up <id>"; you just start the osd, and it
already gets recognized as up. (if you don't like this, you set it out,
not just down; and there is a "ceph osd in <id>" to undo that.)

> 2) If I don't call "osd down" manually (perhaps at the weekend when
> I'm not at the office) when a node dies - did I understand correctly
> that the "hanging" I experienced is temporary and that after a few
> minutes (don't want to try out now) the node should also go down
> automatically?
I believe so, yes.

Also, FYI, RBD images don't seem to have this issue, and work right away
on a 3 osd cluster. Maybe cephfs would also work better with a 3rd osd,
even an empty one (weight=0). (and I had an unresolved issue testing the
same with cephfs on my virtual test cluster)