Re: Best practices for extending a ceph cluster with minimal client impact data movement

> Op 8 augustus 2016 om 16:45 schreef Martin Palma <martin@xxxxxxxx>:
>

> Hi all,
>
> we are in the process of expanding our cluster and I would like to
> know if there are some best practices in doing so.
>
> Our current cluster is composted as follows:
> - 195 OSDs (14 Storage Nodes)
> - 3 Monitors
> - Total capacity 620 TB
> - Used 360 TB
>
> We will expand the cluster by other 14 Storage Nodes and 2 Monitor
> nodes. So we are doubling the current deployment:
>
> - OSDs: 195 --> 390
> - Total capacity: 620 TB --> 1250 TB
>
> During the expansion we would like to minimize the client impact and
> data movement. Any suggestions?

There are a few routes you can take, I would suggest that you:

- set max backfills to 1
- set max recovery to 1

Now, add the OSDs to the cluster, but NOT to the CRUSHMap.

When all the OSDs are online, inject a new CRUSHMap where you add the new OSDs to the data placement.

$ ceph osd setcrushmap -i <new crushmap>

The OSDs will now start to migrate data, but this is throttled by the max recovery and backfill settings.

Wido