Antw: Re: Best practices for extending a ceph cluster with minimal client impact data movement

Hi,

>>> Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> schrieb am Dienstag, 9. August 2016 um
10:05:

>> Op 8 augustus 2016 om 16:45 schreef Martin Palma <martin@xxxxxxxx>:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are in the process of expanding our cluster and I would like to
>> know if there are some best practices in doing so.
>>
>> Our current cluster is composted as follows:
>> - 195 OSDs (14 Storage Nodes)
>> - 3 Monitors
>> - Total capacity 620 TB
>> - Used 360 TB
>>
>> We will expand the cluster by other 14 Storage Nodes and 2 Monitor
>> nodes. So we are doubling the current deployment:
>>
>> - OSDs: 195 --> 390
>> - Total capacity: 620 TB --> 1250 TB
>>
>> During the expansion we would like to minimize the client impact and
>> data movement. Any suggestions?
>>

> There are a few routes you can take, I would suggest that you:
>
> - set max backfills to 1
> - set max recovery to 1
>
> Now, add the OSDs to the cluster, but NOT to the CRUSHMap.
>
> When all the OSDs are online, inject a new CRUSHMap where you add the new
> OSDs to the data placement.
>
> $ ceph osd setcrushmap -i <new crushmap>
>
> The OSDs will now start to migrate data, but this is throttled by the max
> recovery and backfill settings.

Would there be a different behaviour of the cluster when adding all new osd's
with an initial weight of 0 at first and setting the weight for all new osd's in one
step to the final value?

Steffen

> Wido
>
>> Best,