Physical maintainance

Hi Cephers,

There's some physical maintainance I need to perform on an OSD node.
Very likely the maintainance is going to take a while since it involves
replacing components, so I would like to be well prepared.

Unfortunately it is no option to add another OSD node or rebalance at
this time, so I'm planning to operate in degraded state during the
maintainance.

If at all possible, I would to shut down the OSD node cleanly and
prevent slow (or even blocking) requests on Ceph clients.

Just setting the noout flag and shutting down the OSDs on the given node
is not enough as it seems. In fact clients do not act that well in this
case. Connections time out and for a while I/O seems to stall.

Any thoughts on this, anyone? For example, is it a sensible idea and are
writes still possible? Let's assume there are OSDs on to the
to-be-maintained host which are primary for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kees