Re: Public and Private network over 1 interface

Hello,

separate public/private networks make sense for clusters that:

a) have vastly more storage bandwidth than a single link can handle or
b) are extremely read heavy on the client side, so replication reads can
be separated from the client ones.

I posit that neither is the case in your scenario.

Your 2 NVMes will give you a best 2GB/s writes, so that's the best you can
ever hope for in the write department, half of your 40Gb/s speed.

Also your HDDs are unlikely to write much more than 2GB/s combined with
filestore.
Bluestore may be another story, for another time in a year or so at the
earliest.

As for reads, if your cluster would be doing nothing but reads your
configuration might fill up your 40Gb/s link.
Alas any and all writes, especially random I/Os and even more so sync ones
will reduce that significantly, as you already guessed at yourself.

So this all being said, I'd go for a single network with redundant links
(switches) and be done with it.

Regards,

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications