Re: dense storage nodes

Hello Kris,

On Wed, 18 May 2016 19:31:49 -0700 Kris Jurka wrote:

> On 5/18/2016 7:15 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:
>
> >> We have hit the following issues:
> >>
> >>   - Filestore merge splits occur at ~40 MObjects with default
> >> settings. This is a really, really bad couple of days while things
> >> settle.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on that?
> > As in which settings affect this and what happens exactly as "merge
> > splits" sounds like an oxymoron, so I suppose it's more of a split
> > than a merge to be so painful?
> >

> Filestore merges directories when the leafs are largely empty and splits
> when they're full.  So they're sort of the same thing.  Here's the
> result of a test I ran storing objects into RGW as fast as possible and
> you can see performance tank while directories split and recover
> afterwards.

Yes, I was aware of that, it sounded like something else to me.
I guess 40MObjects bit threw me off, which obviously is something specific
to Brain's cluster (size).

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/27189/focus=27213

Yup, remember that.
And the conclusion that it's unlikely to see some loving as BlueStore will
fix this.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/