Re: dense storage nodes

On 5/18/2016 7:15 PM, Christian Balzer wrote:

We have hit the following issues:

  - Filestore merge splits occur at ~40 MObjects with default settings.
This is a really, really bad couple of days while things settle.

Could you elaborate on that?
As in which settings affect this and what happens exactly as "merge splits"
sounds like an oxymoron, so I suppose it's more of a split than a merge to
be so painful?

Filestore merges directories when the leafs are largely empty and splits when they're full. So they're sort of the same thing. Here's the result of a test I ran storing objects into RGW as fast as possible and you can see performance tank while directories split and recover afterwards.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/27189/focus=27213

Kris Jurka