Re: dense storage nodes

Hello,

On Wed, 18 May 2016 08:14:51 -0500 Brian Felton wrote:

> At my current gig, we are running five (soon to be six) pure object
> storage clusters in production with the following specs:
>
>  - 9 nodes
>  - 32 cores, 256 GB RAM per node
>  - 72 6 TB SAS spinners per node (648 total per cluster)
>  - 7,2 erasure coded pool for RGW buckets
>  - ZFS as the filesystem on the OSDs with collocated journals
>  - Hammer release with rgw patches
>
> We are currently storing a few hundred TB of data across several hundred
> MObjects.
>
> We have hit the following issues:
>
>  - Filestore merge splits occur at ~40 MObjects with default settings.
> This is a really, really bad couple of days while things settle.

Could you elaborate on that?
As in which settings affect this and what happens exactly as "merge splits"
sounds like an oxymoron, so I suppose it's more of a split than a merge to
be so painful?

>  - Realizing that, with erasure coding, scrubs have the same impact as
> deep scrubs
>  - Scrubs causing a slew of blocked/slow requests and stale pgs
>
>  - A handful of RGW issues
>
> As utilization has grown, the performance impact of scrubbing has become
> much more noticeable, to the point that we've had to hand-roll software
> to manage the scrubs and keep them at a very reduced rate.

Scrubbing can be more often than not your enemy, especially as it
currently only tells you that something is wrong after the fact, your data
is most likely already corrupt (unless you run ZFS or BTRFS) and good luck
finding out which PG has the good data.

That said, if your cluster has issues with normal scrubs (never mind deep
ones) even after tuning things down (like osd_scrub_sleep = 0.1) it's a
clear sign to improve things as normal client operations are likely to
cause a similar impact.

Regards,

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications