Yes you are right.

I just came across sebastien han's post, using nfs on top of rbd(http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/07/06/nfs-over-rbd/)

I will try this method.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Edward Huyer <erhvks@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Mapping a single RBD on multiple servers isn’t going to do what you want unless you’re putting some kind of clustered filesystem on it.  Exporting the filesystem via an NFS server will generally be simpler.

You’ve already encountered one problem with sharing a block device without a clustered filesystem:  One server doesn’t know when some other server has changed something, so a given server will only show changes it has made unless you somehow refresh the server’s knowledge (with a remount, for example).

A related but much bigger problem comes with multiple servers are writing to the same block device.  Because no server is aware of what the other servers are doing, it’s essentially guaranteed that you’ll have one server partially overwriting things another server just wrote, resulting in lost data and/or a broken filesystem.

-----

Edward Huyer

School of Interactive Games and Media

Golisano 70-2373

152 Lomb Memorial Drive

Rochester, NY 14623

585-475-6651

erhvks@xxxxxxx

Obligatory Legalese:

The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.