Re: Best way to setup a Ceph Cluster as Fileserver

Hi Hauke,

1.

Yes you can use different client version in general. Its not recommanded
and of course you might run in the situation that the server and client
does not support the same features. So you should check that.

Just like in NFS/SMB/any other, its usually a bad idea to have a newer
client access an older server.

Also, jewel, because of major changes inside cephfs, might have a
special position where you are forced to use the jewel clients together
with the jewel servers.

----

2.

Thats your personal flavour / choice if you are using SMB/NFS.

But you should consider, that both are no cluster system and generate
SPOF automatically. And this way, erasing most coolness of ceph as a
technology.

To avoid this, you might want to add some underlying cluster environment
like corosync or what ever.

And then again, is the question, if you want to run ceph server
software, cluster environment software and nfs/smb software all on the
same host. Murphy has a lot of choices to make this compilation more fun
for the admin.

----

3.

Its highly recommanded to access cephfs with cephfs and not anything
else when speed is a matter for you.

I have no exerience with constructions you want to build. So i dont know
if a newer version of samba or a "vfs Module ceph" ( what ever that is )
will help.

But i doubt, that at the end of the day, the construction you try to
build will have anything to do with speed. Simply too many layers in
between.

So you should really check if you can access this all via cephfs from
the clients.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Oliver Dzombic
IP-Interactive

mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anschrift:

IP Interactive UG ( haftungsbeschraenkt )
Zum Sonnenberg 1-3
63571 Gelnhausen

HRB 93402 beim Amtsgericht Hanau
Geschäftsführung: Oliver Dzombic