Re: Local SSD cache for ceph on each compute node.

local-storage.

I tested a solution using iSCSI for the cache devices. Each VM was using
flashcache with a combination of a iSCSI LUN from a SSD and a RBD. This gets
around the problem of moving things around or if the hypervisor goes down.
It's not local caching but the write latency is at least 10x lower than the
RBD. Note I tested it, I didn't put it into production :-)

> My understanding of how a writeback cache should work is that it should
> only take a few seconds for writes to be streamed onto the network and is
> focussed on resolving the speed issue of small sync writes. The writes
would
> be bundled into larger writes that are not time sensitive.
>
> So there is potential for a few seconds data loss but compared to the
current
> trend of using ephemeral storage to solve this issue, it's a major
> improvement.

Yeah, problem is a couple of seconds data loss mean different things to
different people.