Re: Local SSD cache for ceph on each compute node.

Indeed, well understood.

As a shorter term workaround, if you have control over the VMs, you could always just slice out an LVM volume from local SSD/NVMe and pass it through to the guest.  Within the guest, use dm-cache (or similar) to add a cache front-end to your RBD volume.  Others have also reported improvements by using the QEMU x-data-plane option and RAIDing several RBD images together within the VM.

--

Jason Dillaman