Re: Ceph for home use

On 16 March 2016 at 04:34, Edward Wingate <edwingate8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given my resources,
I'd still only run a single node with 3 OSDs and replica count of 2.
I'd then have a VM mount the a Ceph RBD to serve Samba/NFS shares.

Fun & instructive to play with ceph that way, but not really a good use of it - ceph's main thing is to provide replication across nodes for redundancy and failover. Which you aren't going to get with one node :)

I really recommend seting up your NAS using ZFS (under BSD or Linux), its an excellent usecase for you setup. You can configure mirrored disks for redundacy and extend the storage indefintly by adding extra disks. Plus you get all the zfs goodies -  excellent cmd tools, snapshots, checksums, ssd caches and more.

You can share zfs disks directly via smb, nfs or iscsi or via your VM. And you will get much better performance.

--
Lindsay