Ceph for home use

Wanting to play around with Ceph, I have a single-node Ceph with 1
monitor and 3 OSDs running on a VM.  I am loving the flexibility that
Ceph provides (and perhaps just the novelty of it).  I've been
planning for some time to build a NAS for home use and seriously
thinking about running Ceph on real hardware (Core2 Quad Q9550 with
8-16GB RAM and 3x 4TB HDD) as the backing store.  Given my resources,
I'd still only run a single node with 3 OSDs and replica count of 2.
I'd then have a VM mount the a Ceph RBD to serve Samba/NFS shares.

I realize mine is not the usual or ideal use case for Ceph, but do you
see any reason not to do this? I don't need high-performance, just
good enough to serve 2 movie streams, which my test VM is already able
to do, and it will be one of my backup data stores, not main store
(yet).  I just like Ceph's ability to add storage as needed with
minimal fuss.

Also, I have some older HD's (500-750GB, 5+ years old) that are still
chugging along fine.  I don't want to entrust main data to them, but
feel I could use them for temporary backfill purposes.  If I add them
to another node, can Ceph be configured to use them only for backfill
purposes, should the need arise?

Anyway, just wanted a sanity check, in case the novelty of running
Ceph is clouding my judgement.  Feel free to set me straight if this
is just a silly idea for such relatively small scale storage!