Re: ceph hammer : rbd info/Status : operation not supported (95) (EC+RBD tier pools)

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:44:47 -0700 Robert LeBlanc wrote:

> We have not seen this issue, but we don't run EC pools yet (we are
> waiting for multiple layers to be available).

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus here, only EC is affected.

> We are not running 0.94.6
> in production yet either. We have adopted the policy to only run released
> versions in production unless there is a really pressing need to have a
> patch.

Well, it is released since Wednesday. ^o^

But then again we don't update things here either unless we're hitting a
bug.
If not for the need of a working cache tier, we'd still be on Firefly.

>We are running 0.94.6 through our alpha and staging clusters and
> hoping to do the upgrade in the next couple of weeks. We won't know how
> much the recency fix will help until then because we have not been able
> to replicate our workload with fio accurately enough to get good test
> results.

I had/have high hopes with working recency, as it will avoid getting the
cache filled with cold objects, in turn it having to evict stuff and
pounding the base pool again.
Alas I just found that write recency isn't supported with Hammer, see
another mail soon.

> Unfortunately we will probably be swapping out our M600s with
> S3610s. We've burned through 30% of the life in 2 months and they have
> 8x the op latency.
Ouch, that's quite the wear-out.
Aside from the SSDs having insufficient endurance, what level of
write-amplification are you seeing on average?

As for the 3610s, make sure to update their firmware before deployment.

> Due to the 10 Minutes of Terror, we are going to have
> to do both at the same time to reduce the impact. Luckily, when you have
> weighted out OSDs or empty ones, it is much less impactful. If you get
> your upgrade done before ours, I'd like to know how it went. I'll be
> posting the results from ours when it is done.

I think I'll pass on 0.94.6 for the moment, as I seem to have found
another bug, more on that later if I can confirm it.
Right now I'm reboot my entire test cluster to make sure this isn't a
residual effect from doing multiple upgrades w/o ever rebooting nodes.

Christian