Re: ceph hammer : rbd info/Status : operation not supported (95) (EC+RBD tier pools)

Hello Jason (Ceph devs et al),

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:15:34 -0500 (EST) Jason Dillaman wrote:

> If you run "rados -p <cache pool> ls | grep "rbd_id.<yyy-disk1>" and
> don't see that object, you are experiencing that issue [1].
>
> You can attempt to work around this issue by running "rados -p irfu-virt
> setomapval rbd_id.<yyy-disk1> dummy value" to force-promote the object
> to the cache pool.  I haven't tested / verified that will alleviate the
> issue, though.
>
> [1] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/14762

This concerns me greatly, as I'm about to phase in a cache tier this
weekend into a very busy, VERY mission critical Ceph cluster.
That is on top of a replicated pool, Hammer.

That issue and the related git blurb are less than crystal clear, so for
my and everybody else's benefit could you elaborate a bit more on this?

1. Does this only affect EC base pools?
2. Is this a regressions of sorts and when came it about?
   I have a hard time imagining people not running into this earlier,
   unless that problem is very hard to trigger.
3. One assumes that this isn't fixed in any released version of Ceph,
   correct?

Robert, sorry for CC'ing you, but AFAICT your cluster is about the closest
approximation in terms of busyness to mine here.
And I a assume that you're neither using EC pools (since you need
performance, not space) and haven't experienced this bug all?

Also, would you consider the benefits of the recency fix (thanks for
that) being worth risk of being an early adopter of 0.94.6?
In other words, are you eating your own dog food already and 0.94.6 hasn't
eaten your data babies yet? ^o^

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications