Re: Ceph + Libvirt + QEMU-KVM

On 28/01/16 10:59, Bill WONG wrote:

how you manage to preform snapshot with the raw format in qemu-kvm VMs?

# Create a snapshot called backup of testvm's image in the rbd pool:
rbd snap create --read-only rbd/testvm@backup

# Dump the snapshot to file
rbd export rbd/testvm@backup testvm-backup.img

# Delete the snapshot
rbd snap rm rbd/testvm@backup

cloud you please let me know how you use the ceph as backend storage of
qemu-kvm, as if i google it, most of the ceph application is used for
OpenStack, but not simply pure qemu-kvm.

I'm using pure libvirt/qemu-kvm too. Last I checked, virt-install doesn't support using rbd volumes directly. There's two ways I know of to get around this:

1. Create the VM using a file-based qcow2 image then convert to rbd

2. Modify the XML produced by virt-install before the VM is started

I can provide detailed steps for these if you need them.

Cheers,
Simon