Re: cephfs - inconsistent nfs and samba directory listings

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Mike Carlson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Zheng,
>
> I've been in the #ceph irc channel all day about this.
>
> We did that, we set max_mds back to 1, but, instead of stopping mds 1, we
> did a "ceph mds rmfailed 1". Running ceph mds stop 1 produces:
>
> # ceph mds stop 1
> Error EEXIST: mds.1 not active (???)
>

> Our mds in a state of resolve, and will not come back.
>
> We then tried to roll back the mds map to the epoch just before we set
> max_mds to 2, but that command crashes all but one of our monitors and never
> completes
>
> We do not know what to do at this point, if there was a way to get the mds
> back up just so we could back it up, we're okay with rebuilding. We just
> need the data back.

It's not clear to me how much you've screwed up your monitor cluster.
If that's still alive, you should just need to set max mds to 2, turn
on an mds daemon, and let it resolve. Then you can follow the steps
Zheng outlined for reducing the number of nodes cleanly.
(That assumes that your MDS state is healthy and that the reason for
your mounts hanging was a problem elsewhere, like with directory
fragmentation confusing NFS.)

If your monitor cluster is actually in trouble (ie, the crashing
problem made it to disk), that's a whole other thing now. But I
suspect/hope it didn't and you just need to shut down the client
trying to do the setmap and then turn the monitors all back on.
Meanwhile, please post a bug at tracker.ceph.com with the actual
monitor commands you ran and as much of the backtrace/log as you can;
we don't want to have commands which break the system! ;)
-Greg