Re: Removing OSD - double rebalance?

Hi all,

On 12/02/2015 12:10 PM, Jan Schermer wrote:
1) if you have the original drive that works and just want to replace it then you can just "dd" it over to the new drive and then extend the partition if the new one is larger, this avoids double backfilling in this case
2) if the old drive is dead you should "out" it and at the same time add a new drive

If you reweight the drive then you shuffle all data on it to the rest of the drives on that host (with default crush at least), so you need to have free space to do that safely.
Also, ceph is not that smart to only backfill the data to the new drive locally (even though it could) and the "hashing" algorithm doesn't really guarantee that no other data moves when you switch drives like that.

TL;DR - if you can, deal with the additional load

well, that is unfortunately not an option for me, 46 OSD and 32 GB in one server is not a smart setup :-) (Yes, this was discussed earlier in other threads, but I couldn't resist).

If everything runs smoothly it's great, but if only the tiniest thing is off, then you can experience horrendous domino effects of dying daemons.

A small addendum in the manual might be helpful for others.

And thanks to all who answered, it helped me a lot and saves a lot of my time.

Cheers,
Carsten