Re: Removing OSD - double rebalance?

On 30 November 2015 at 09:34, Burkhard Linke
<Burkhard.Linke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/30/2015 10:08 AM, Carsten Schmitt wrote:

>> But after entering the last command, the cluster starts rebalancing again.
>>
>> And that I don't understand: Shouldn't be one rebalancing process enough
>> or am I missing something?
>
> Removing the OSD changes the weight for the host, thus a second rebalance is
> necessary.
>
> The best practice to remove an OSD involves changing the crush weight to 0.0
> as first step.

I found this out the hard way too. It's unfortunate that the
documentation is, in my mind, not helpful on the order of commands to
run.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-osds-manual

Is there any good reason why the documentation recommends this
double-rebalance approach? Or conversely, any reason not to change the
documentation so that rebalances only happen once?

Thanks,
Andy